EU & UK
- The Spanish data protection authority imposed a fine of EUR 90,000 on Masluz Energy Power SL, for violation of the General Data Protection Regulation.
- The Italian data protection authority imposed a fine of EUR 20,000 on the Toscana Sud Est local health authority, for violation of the General Data Protection Regulation and the Personal Data Protection Code.
- UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office issued a statement regarding Meta’s plans to seek consent from users for behavioural advertising.
- French data protection authority requested public comments on a draft practical guide on opening and re-using publicly accessible data. Public comments can be submitted until October 15, 2023.
- The New York State Governor announced the New York State Cybersecurity Strategy.
- Federal Communications Commission imposed USD 299,997,000 forfeiture against multiple companies for auto warranty scam robocalls in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and the Truth in Caller ID Act.
- Mexico’s National Institute for Transparency, Access to Information and Personal Data Protection imposed fines totaling MXN 11,020,991, from January 1 to June 30, on individuals and/or entities that violated the Federal Law on Protection of Personal Data Held by Private Parties.
INDIA AND ASIA PACIFIC
- India’s Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023, was passed by the Upper House of Parliament (the Rajya Sabha), following its passage in the Lower House of the Indian Parliament (the Lok Sabha).
- India’s Ministry of Electronics, and Information Technology published the salient features of the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023.
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s National Cybersecurity Authority launched a public consultation on cybersecurity guidelines for the Internet of Things.
- Dubai International Financial Centre’s Commissioner of Data Protection issued the first adequacy decision, for the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020.
Read our digital newsletter here.