- European council and parliament signed the Digital Markets Act which aims to promote innovation, high-quality digital products and services, fair prices, and choice in the digital sector.
- The Council of Europe Department for the Execution of Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights published response summary of member states to judgments on the protection of personal data.
- Europe Court of Justice Advisory issued non binding opinion on the ability of the German Antitrust authority to assess whether companies comply with EU data protection rules during their investigations.
- The Berlin Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information issued a EUR 525,000 fine to a Berlin-based retailer for violation of data protection officer requirements under the GDPR.
- Securities and Exchange Commission fined Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC, USD 35 million for failure to protect the personal identifying information of approximately 15 million customers.
- US Representatives sent a letter to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, urging personal information protection of owners of ‘.US’ internet domains.
- Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada along with the other commissioners announced joint resolution on increasing privacy effort across the healthcare sector .
- Oregon’s Senator issued a press release requesting inspectors general of Homeland Security, Defense, and Justice to investigate the warrantless purchase and use of Americans’ web browsing records.
INDIA AND ASIA-PACIFIC
- India’s new data protection bill is expected to be released for consultation in the coming days. Reports NDTV
- Russia’s Federal Service for the Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Communications released an updated list of foreign countries that provide adequate protection of the rights of personal data subjects.
- South Korea’s Personal Information Protection Commission fined Balan Co., Ltd. KRW 14,400,000 for violating the provisions of the Personal Information Protection Act 2011.
- Yunnan Provincial Communications Administration interviewed seven app operators after notifying them on illegal collection and use of personal information.
Read our digital newsletter here.