The Hellenic Data Protection Authority (HDPA) fined Cosmote Mobile Telecommunications S.A. EUR 6,000,000 following an incident of personal data breach. The HDPA found Cosmote in violation of the principle of legality and transparency enshrined in the GDPR owing to incomplete information provided to its subscribers. Further, Cosmote improperly conducted the data protection impact assessment.
The Spanish Data Protection Authority held Vodafone España, S.A.U. in violation of the provisions of GDPR for failing to implement appropriate security measures to prevent fraudulent replication and use of SIM cards. Hence, the Spanish DPA fined Vodafone EUR 3,940,000.
CNIL, the French Data Protection Authority, ordered an unnamed website operator to comply with Chapter V of the GDPR upon finding that transfers made by the website operator from France to the US using Google Analytics were non-compliant with the GDPR. This order was passed in light of the Schrems II judgment.
- Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry released “Guidelines for the Practice of Artificial Intelligence Principles”.
- CNIL launches public consultation on the GDPR awareness guide for trade unions. Comments can be submitted until 18th March 2022.
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications of Japan published guide on cloud services using Artificial Intelligence.
- Ukrainian Parliament passed bill on cloud services.
- Algorithmic Accountability Act of 2022 introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Chile passed bill on regulating “Processing and Protection of Personal Data and Creating the Personal Data Protection Authority”.
- UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office issued a statement in response to the International Data Transfer Agreement and Addendum.
- Danish DPA issued a statement on Belgian DPA’s decision against Interactive Advertising Bureau Europe for violation of GDPR.
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) announced the launch of International Data Transfer Expert Council.
- DCMS launches consultation for amendment to Network and Information Systems Regulations 2018. Responses can be submitted until 20th March 2022.
- Competition and Markets Authority accepted Google’s Privacy Sandbox Proposals to remove of third-party cookies from Chrome.
- Bill for California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act introduced to the California General Assembly.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology released report on “Ransomware Risk Management: A Cybersecurity Framework Profile”.
- Attorney General of Texas filed lawsuit against Meta Platforms, Inc. for unlawful collection of biometric data.
- Cyberspace Administration of China launched Internet Information Algorithm Filing Service.
- Cyber Security Administration sought public opinions on “Measures for the Administration of Data Security in the Field of Industry and Information Technology (Trial)”.
- Permanent Representative of Armenia sought ratification of protocol amending the Convention on protection of individuals with regard to their personal data.
- European Commission announced election of the chair of Governing Board of European Cybersecurity Competence Centre and Network.
- CNIL published strategic plan for 2022-2024 on data protection and privacy.
- IT Minister settles speculation on replacement of Data Protection Bill with new legislation. Reports Economic Times
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting prohibits sharing of secret documents by its officials over the internet. Reports The Hindu
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology invites comments on draft Data Accessibility and Use Policy. Comments can be submitted until 18th March 2022.
News around the globe
- The Parliament of Georgia created a new Personal Data Protection Services agency.
- Russia’s Federal Antimonopoly Service approved principles of fair behaviour in digital markets.
- German payment service “Giropay” reportedly keeping data on past online purchases. Reports NOYB
Big tech updates
- Meta released a statement addressing the need for international data transfer rules to protect transatlantic data flows.
- Apple released advancements to ‘Air Tags’ including new privacy warnings during setup to increase safeguards against unwanted tracking.
- Dutch Government released its Data Protection Impact Assessment assessing the data protection risks of the use of Microsoft Teams.
Read our digital newsletter here.
© 2019 Reina Consulting LLP – All rights reserved