The Personal Data Protection Bill (“PDPB”) is applicable to processing of personal data.
- Personal data is defined as any data about an individual who is identifiable by or in relation to such data.
- Processing relation to personal data, means an automated operation or set of operations performed on digital personal data, and may include operations such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation, alteration, retrieval, use, alignment or combination, indexing, sharing, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, restriction, erasure or destruction.
There are mostly three actors in a data protection equation:
- The Data Principal – the individual to whom the personal data relates and where such individual is a child includes the parents or lawful guardian of such a child
- The Data Fiduciary- any person who alone or in conjunction with other persons determines the purpose and means of processing of personal data.
- The Data Processor-means any person who processes personal data on behalf of a the data fiduciary