By Reina Legal
10th December, 2019
The Personal Data Protection Bill (“PDPB”) is applicable to processing of personal data.
- Personal data is defined as data about or relating to a natural person who is directly or indirectly identifiable, having regard to any characteristic, trait, attribute, or any other feature of the identity of such person, or any combination of such features with any other information.
- Processing relation to personal data, means an operation or set of operations performed on personal data, and may include operations such as collection, recording,organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation, alteration, retrieval, use, alignment or combination, indexing, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, restriction, erasure or destruction.
There are mostly three actors in a data protection equation:
- The Data Principal – The individual (natural person) whose personal data is sought to be collected.
- The Data Fiduciary-means any person, including the State, a company, any juristic entity or any individual who alone or in conjunction with others determines the purpose and means of processing of personal data.
- The Data Processor-means any person, including the State, a company, any juristic entity or any individual who processes personal data on behalf of a data fiduciary, but does not include an employee of the data fiduciary.